Big Gulp of Jonah
In this Jonah and the whale craft and game, players try to get Jonah into the mouth of a whale. Use this game to introduce the story of Jonah.
Bible: Jonah 1-3
Ages: 6 to 10
Group Size: 1 or more
Supplies: Paper cups, Scissors, Sticky Tape, String, Clothes Pegs or Erasers or Crushed Aluminum Foil, Big Gulp of Jonah Printable – Download Here
Download and print the Big Gulp of Jonah Printable.
You will need 1 copy for each player.
Craft Activity – Cup-and-Ball Game
Cut out Jonah and the top and bottom pieces of the Whale.
Paste the top piece of the whale on a paper cup, then the bottom piece (see picture below).
Paste Jonah onto a clothes peg or eraser or small piece of crushed aluminum foil (or anything to give Jonah some weight).
Cut a piece of string about 18 inches long.
Paste one end of the string to the bottom of the paper cup; paste or tie the other end to Jonah.
How to Play
Hold the whale in your hand.
Try to swing Jonah into the mouth of the whale.
Bible Lesson – Jonah
1. Which did you enjoy more? Making or playing with the Jonah and the Whale toy?
2. Was it easy to get Jonah into the mouth of the Whale?
3. Have you heard the Bible story about Jonah and the Whale before? Can you tell us the story?
Today we will look at one of the most famous Bible passages – Jonah.
An excerpt of Jonah 1-3 from a children’s Bible.
4. Who is Jonah?
5. What did God want Jonah to do?
6. How did Jonah respond to God? Did he obey God immediately? What did Jonah do?
7. What happened when Jonah tried to run away from God?
8. What did God do when Jonah was thrown into the sea?
9. How long was Jonah in the belly of the fish?
10. What happened when Jonah was in the belly of the fish?
11. What happened after the fish vomited Jonah onto dry land?
12. Did Jonah eventually obey God?
1. Jonah tried unsuccessfully to run away from God. We can never run away from God – God is everywhere!
2. Even when Jonah did not obey God the first time, God was patient and compassionate with Jonah. God gave Jonah a chance to repent and God forgave him.
3. When God tells us to do something, we must do it.
Please Rate This Game: