Come On Up, Moses!
In this relay race, players climb up “Mount Sinai” to collect the Ten Commandments. Use this game to introduce and review your lesson on the Ten Commandments.
Bible: Exodus 19:5-6; 20:1-17
Ages: 6 to 10
Group Size: 4 or more
Supplies: Ten Commandments Cards – Download Here
Please Rate This Game:
Download and print several copies of the Ten Commandments Cards.
You will need 1 copy per team. Cut each copy into ten.
How to Play
Ideally, this game should be played in an area with a flight of stairs.
At the top of the stairs: Mix up all Ten Commandments Cards; place them all face up on the floor.
At the opposite end of the playing area, away from the stairs: Have children form teams and stand in lines.
On “go”, one child from each team runs to climb “Mount Sinai” to pick up one card, then runs back to place the card on the floor where all teammates can see.
– If it’s a card that they don’t already have, the next person in line runs to pick up another card.
– If it’s a card that they already have, the next person in line returns this card before picking up another card.
If you are using this game to introduce the Ten Commandments, the first team to collect all Ten Commandments Cards wins.
If you have already taught the Ten Commandments and are using this game as a review, the first team to collect all Ten Commandments Cards and arrange them in the correct order wins.
Bible Lesson – The Ten Commandments
1. Did you enjoy this game?
2. Was it easy to collect all ten different commandment cards without duplicates?
3. Do any of these commandments look familiar to you? Which ones?
These commandments that you have collected today are called the Ten Commandments.
4. Who was God speaking to?
5. What did God do for the Israelites before this? Are you familiar with what happened to the Israelites in Egypt and how God delivered them? Tell us the Bible story about this.
6. Why did God give the Israelites the Ten Commandments?
Before God gave the Israelites the Ten Commandments, he already saved them from slavery in Egypt. God loves them and he wants them to be his special “kingdom of priests and a holy nation”. God is holy, and through the Ten Commandments, God instructed the Israelites on how they can be holy, so that they can remain in his presence.
Refer to Exodus 20:3-17. Arrange the Unnumbered Ten Commandments Cards that you have collected in today’s game in the order that God gave them.
7. What do you think of these Ten Commandments? Do you think they are only for the Israelites, or are they also for us?
Just like God loved the Israelites and saved them from slavery in Egypt, God also loves us and sent Jesus to die on the cross for our sins, so that we can be with him forever.
Just like God wanted the Israelites to be holy, he also wants us to be holy.
If we love God, we must obey his commandments.