Players exercise their creativity by crafting stories based on random emojis they are assigned. Use this game to teach about dealing with pain and sadness.
Bible: Psalm 30; Psalm 88; Matthew 26:36-46
Ages: 10 and above
Group Size: 4 or more
Supplies: Emoji Story Cards – Download Here
Please Rate This Game:
Download, print and cut up the Emoji Story Cards.
You will need 10 Emoji cards per team.
How to Play
Divide into teams of 2-6 players per team.
Shuffle the Emoji cards and give each team 10 Emoji cards.
Each team must create one story using as many of the 10 Emojis as possible.
The story must have a happy ending.
Have each team tell their story to the entire group.
Award 10 points for each Emoji card used and 50 points for the most creative story.
Collect the Emoji cards back from the teams, shuffle all the cards, and give each team 10 new Emoji cards.
Conduct the activity again, except that in this round, the story must have a sad ending.
Bible Lesson for Youths/Adults – Pain and Sadness
1. Do you use emojis when messaging your friends?
2. Why or why not?
3. Which emojis do you use most often?
Get into the Word
Read Psalm 30:1-12 and Psalm 88:1-18
4. What words would you use to describe each of these psalms?
5. Which of these psalms can you identify with more?
6. Why do you think God included these psalms in the Bible?
Read Matthew 26:36-46
7. What are some emotions Jesus felt in Gethsemane?
8. What does he ask his disciples to do?
9. What can we learn from Jesus’ prayer?
10. Have you ever wondered why God allowed something bad to happen in your life? Share your experience.
11. Why does God allow us to suffer, grieve, and struggle?
Get the Word into your Life
12. Which emotions do you try to hide from others? Why?
13. How do you think sharing your emotions with others can help?
14. Who do you share your struggles with? Why do you choose them?
15. Who would you want to “watch and pray” with you next time you face a difficult time?
16. How do you think sharing your emotions with God can help?
17. What emotions are you struggling with right now?