Good Fruit Bad Fruit Relay
Download and print several copies of the Fruit of the Spirit Cards. You will need 1 copy per team. Cut each copy into nine.
Download and print several copies of the Sinful Nature Cards. You will need 1 copy per team. Cut each copy into nine.
You will also need a discard bin or trash bag for the Sinful Nature Cards.
How to Play
At one end of the room: Have children form teams and stand in lines; place a discard bin or trash bag within easy reach of everyone.
At the opposite end of the room: Mix up all Fruit of the Spirit and Sinful Nature Cards; place them all face down on the floor.
On “go”, one child from each team runs to pick up one card (without looking) and runs back to his/her teammates. Show the card to your teammates and collectively decide whether it is a Fruit of the Spirit or Sinful Nature Card:
– If it is a Sinful Nature Card, discard in the bin or trash bag; the next person in line runs to pick up another card
– If it is a Fruit of the Spirit Card that you don’t already have, hold on to it; the next person in line runs to pick up another card
– If it is a Fruit of the Spirit Card that you already have, the next person in line must run to the opposite end of the room to return this card and pick up another card
The game ends when one team collects all nine Fruit of the Spirit Cards.
Bible Lesson – Fruit of the Spirit vs Sinful Nature
1. Did you enjoy the game?
2. Was it easy for you to differentiate between the Fruit of the Spirit and Sinful Nature Cards? How do you differentiate them?
The Bible talks about the fruit of the Spirit and the sinful nature.
3. Verses 19-21 lists some examples of the acts of the sinful nature.
Can you put these in your own words?
Can you think of other examples (of acts of the sinful nature)?
4. According to verses 22-23, what are the nine attributes of the fruit of the Spirit?
5. Can you give examples of how each of the nine attributes of the fruit of the Spirit is displayed? For example, how do you show love?
6. Out of these nine attributes, which is the most difficult for you?
7. Verse 22 starts with the word “but”.
What does this suggest about the list in verses 22-23 (fruit of the Spirit) as compared to the list in verses 19-21 (acts of the sinful nature)?
8. What produces the fruit of the Spirit? How can we get the fruit of the Spirit?
9. What produces the acts of sinful nature?
10. According to verses 16-17, can you satisfy both the desires of the Holy Spirit and our own sinful nature at the same time? Why or why not?
11. What does verse 24 mean?
12. What is the warning for us in verse 21?
What do you understand from this warning?
What are your thoughts?
Why do you think those who live in sin will not inherit the kingdom of God?
For those who believe in Jesus, the Holy Spirit comes and live inside us. And when we follow and yield to the Holy Spirit, the Holy Spirit produces these nine attributes in our lives – love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control.
In contrast, if we yield instead to our sinful human nature, it will result in sinful acts that displease God.
As an Amazon Associate, Bible Games Central earns from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you. This income allows us to continue developing new Bible games and lessons.
Continuous learning and growth helps us become more effective in our ministry. Here are some resources from Amazon.com you may find helpful.