Left or Right
Download and print 1 copy of the Fruit of the Spirit Cards. Cut into nine.
Download and print 1 copy of the Sinful Nature Cards. Cut into nine.
Use chalk to draw a line in the middle of the room. (Alternatively, use masking tape.)
All the players should be able to stand on this line. If there are too many players to fit on the line, draw two parallel lines instead, to mark an area in the middle of the room for the players to stand within.
On the right side (players’ right) of this line/area, write with chalk, “Fruit of the Spirit”. (Alternatively, write on a piece of paper and tape it to the floor.)
On the left side (players’ left), write “Sinful Nature”.
How to Play
Have all the players stand on the line (or within the two parallel lines) in the middle of the room.
The leader mixes up the Fruit of the Spirit and Sinful Nature Cards in his hands and calls out one card at a time.
The players quickly move to the correct side of the room.
Bible Lesson – Fruit of the Spirit vs Sinful Nature
1. Did you enjoy the game?
2. Was it easy for you to choose which side of the room to stand in?
3. How did you decide?
The Bible talks about the fruit of the Spirit and the sinful nature.
4. Verses 19-21 lists some examples of the acts of the sinful nature.
Can you put these in your own words?
Can you think of other examples (of acts of the sinful nature)?
5. According to verses 22-23, what are the nine attributes of the fruit of the Spirit?
6. Can you give examples of how each of the nine attributes of the fruit of the Spirit is displayed? For example, how do you show love?
7. Out of these nine attributes, which is the most difficult for you?
8. Verse 22 starts with the word “but”.
What does this suggest about the list in verses 22-23 (fruit of the Spirit) as compared to the list in verses 19-21 (acts of the sinful nature)?
9. What produces the fruit of the Spirit? How can we get the fruit of the Spirit?
10. What produces the acts of sinful nature?
11. According to verses 16-17, can you satisfy both the desires of the Holy Spirit and our own sinful nature at the same time? Why or why not?
12. What does verse 24 mean?
13. What is the warning for us in verse 21?
What do you understand from this warning?
What are your thoughts?
Why do you think those who live in sin will not inherit the kingdom of God?
For those who believe in Jesus, the Holy Spirit comes and live inside us. And when we follow and yield to the Holy Spirit, the Holy Spirit produces these nine attributes in our lives – love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control.
In contrast, if we yield instead to our sinful human nature, it will result in sinful acts that displease God.
After calling out what is on each card, have volunteers give specific examples of that fruit of the Spirit or sinful nature.
Discuss that fruit’s impact on other people.
Discuss that sinful nature’s impact on the person and on other people.
As an Amazon Associate, Bible Games Central earns from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you. This income allows us to continue developing new Bible games and lessons.
Continuous learning and growth helps us become more effective in our ministry. Here are some resources from Amazon.com you may find helpful.