You will need a music player and some fun, lively music.
You will also need to prepare at least one parcel (see “Tips for Parcel Preparation” below).
If you are playing with a small group, one parcel is enough. But for a bigger group, we suggest having multiple parcels (one parcel for every 8 to 10 players) to liven up the game.
How to Play
Have everyone sit in a circle.
When the music starts, pass the parcel from one person to the next.
If you have a big group, pass multiple parcels at the same time. Try to keep a distance between two parcels, but it’s ok even if one parcel “overtakes” another.
When the music stops, the person holding the parcel unwraps one layer of wrapper and keeps the gift item revealed. If there is another layer of wrapper underneath, start the music again and continue with the game. The game ends when the “grand prize” is revealed.
Tips for Parcel Preparation
How to Prepare Each Parcel
– Wrap one grand prize in one layer of wrapping paper.
– Next, wrap one small gift together with the above (wrapped grand prize).
– We suggest using a wrapping paper of a contrasting color from the first layer so that it is easy to unwrap during the game. For example, if you’ve wrapped the first layer using a red paper, use blue for the second layer, red for the third, and so forth. Sealing each layer with only one piece of visible sticker or label (instead of transparent sticky tape) also makes the parcel easier to unwrap during the game.
– Continue wrapping one small gift under each layer of wrapper until you have about 8 to 10 layers of wrappers for each parcel.
Suggestions For Gifts
– Choose gifts that you think your players will like.
– Make sure that the “grand prize” is different from and better than the smaller gifts.
– If you are playing with a mixed-gender group, select gender-neutral gifts.
– Choose gifts that are light so that the parcel does not end up being too heavy for the kids.
– Vary the small gifts so that there is an element of surprise with the unwrapping of each layer during the game.
– To make the game fun for everyone, make sure there are enough layers, so everyone gets to unwrap at least one layer. Ideally, each player receives one small gift during the game.
– Separately, you may also like to prepare a shareable gift (for example, a bag of candies) to give to all those players who did not receive a small gift during the game.
Bible Lesson – Evangelism and Missions
1. Did you enjoy the game?
2. Did you receive any gift item? Do you like the gift?
3. What is the best gift you have ever received?
4. What is a gift that you really wish to receive?
The Bible tells us that God gave us talks about the greatest gift that has given to us. Do you know what it is?
5. Are you familiar with this verse?
6. What is the greatest gift that God has given us?
7. How does one receive this gift?
8. Who does God want to give this gift to?
9. In the game that we just played, we passed a parcel containing gifts from one person to another. Do you think God wants us to do the same with his greatest gift? Why or why not?
Acts 1:8 and Matthew 28:19-20
10. What does “you will be my witnesses” in Acts 1:8 mean?
11. What did Jesus command his disciples to do in Matthew 28:19-20?
12. How is sharing the Gospel with friends like passing God’s gifts to them?
13. Where did Jesus tell his disciples to go to be his witnesses and to make disciples?
14. Do you think these commandments apply to you personally? Why or why not?
15. Who do you think God wants you to share the Gospel with?
16. What are some things you can do or say to share the Gospel with them?
God loves us very much and he wants to have a relationship with us. He has given us Jesus, so that through him, we can become God’s children and one day be with him in heaven. This gift of Jesus is not only for us but for everyone who believes in Jesus. God wants us to share Jesus with all the people who do not know him yet.
Here is a variation of this game that can you can play before sharing the Gospel: