Pass the Gift
Play a game of Pass the Parcel before sharing the Gospel. Especially great for Christmas celebrations and other parties.
Bible: John 3:16; Isaiah 59:2; Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8, Acts 13:30-31; John 1:12; 1 John 1:9
Ages: 6 and above
Group Size: 5 or more
Supplies: Music player with lively music (or Christmas carols if appropriate), One gift-wrapped parcel for every 8 to 10 players, Shareable gift (optional), Gospel tracts (optional)
Please Rate This Game:
You will need a music player and some fun, lively music.
You will also need to prepare at least one parcel (see “Tips for Parcel Preparation” below).
If you are playing with a small group, one parcel is enough. But for a bigger group, we suggest having multiple parcels (one parcel for every 8 to 10 players) to liven up the game.
How to Play
Have everyone sit in a circle.
When the music starts, pass the parcel from one person to the next.
If you have a big group, pass multiple parcels at the same time. Try to keep a distance between two parcels, but it’s ok even if one parcel “overtakes” another.
When the music stops, the person holding the parcel unwraps one layer of wrapper and keeps the gift item revealed. If there is another layer of wrapper underneath, start the music again and continue with the game. The game ends when the “grand prize” is revealed.
Tips for Parcel Preparation
How to Prepare Each Parcel
– Wrap one grand prize in one layer of wrapping paper.
– Next, wrap one small gift together with the above (wrapped grand prize).
– We suggest using a wrapping paper of a contrasting color from the first layer so that it is easy to unwrap during the game. For example, if you’ve wrapped the first layer using a red paper, use blue for the second layer, red for the third, and so forth. Sealing each layer with only one piece of visible sticker or label (instead of transparent sticky tape) also makes the parcel easier to unwrap during the game.
– Continue wrapping one small gift under each layer of wrapper until you have about 8 to 10 layers of wrappers for each parcel.
Suggestions For Gifts
– Choose gifts that you think your players will like.
– Make sure that the “grand prize” is different from and better than the smaller gifts.
– If you are playing with a mixed-gender group, select gender-neutral gifts.
– Choose gifts that are light so that the parcel does not end up being too heavy for the kids.
– Vary the small gifts so that there is an element of surprise with the unwrapping of each layer during the game.
– To make the game fun for everyone, make sure there are enough layers, so everyone gets to unwrap at least one layer. Ideally, each player receives one small gift during the game.
– Separately, you may also like to prepare a shareable gift (for example, a bag of candies) to give to all those players who did not receive a small gift during the game.
Bible Lesson – Gospel Presentation
1. Did you enjoy the game?
2. Did you receive any gift item? Do you like the gift?
3. What is the best gift you have ever received?
4. What is a gift that you really wish to receive?
5. What do you think is the world’s greatest gift?
The Bible tells us about the greatest gift that God has given to us. Do you know what it is?
God loves us very much and wants us to be with him forever and ever.
But we cannot be with God because we have all sinned. (Isaiah 59:2, Romans 6:23) We have all done things that are wrong. (Romans 3:23) Telling lies, fighting and stealing are examples of sins.
6. Do you know what “sin” means?
7. What were some of the things you have done that may have made God unhappy?
God is very sad that we can’t be with him forever and ever. So God gave us his Son, Jesus, as the perfect (Christmas) gift! (John 3:16)
8. Do you know who Jesus is?
9. When do we celebrate Jesus’ birth?
Jesus came from heaven to earth to die on the cross so that all our sins can be forgiven. (Romans 5:8) And on the third day, he became alive again! (Acts 13:30,31) If we choose to accept God’s perfect gift of Jesus, we can now have a relationship with God. We can become children of God. We can call God our Father. And we can one day be with God in heaven! (John 1:12, 1 John 1:9)
10. Would you like to have a relationship with God?
11. What do you think heaven is like?
12. Would you like to one day be with God in heaven?
Here’s how you can accept God’s perfect gift of Jesus and be with God forever and ever!
(i) Admit that you have sinned and ask God to forgive you,
(ii) Believe that Jesus died on the cross to be punished instead of you, and
(iii) Invite Jesus into your life to help you turn away from sin.
13. Do you believe that Jesus died on the cross to take our punishment?
14. Do you want to invite Jesus into your life?
Here’s a prayer you can say right now:
Dear God, thank you for your gift of Jesus! I want to accept your perfect gift right now! I know that I have sinned. I have done things that are wrong. I believe that Jesus died on the cross to take the punishment for my sins. Please forgive all of my sins. Dear Jesus, please come into my life and help me turn away from doing wrong. Thank you that because you took the punishment for my sins, I can have a relationship with you now and will one day be with you in heaven. In Jesus’ name I pray, Amen.
If you have said this prayer, you now have a special relationship with God and you can one day be with God in heaven!
It is important that you grow in your relationship with Jesus. You can do this by:
– Talking to God
– Reading God’s word, the Bible, and
– Obeying him
Here is a variation of this game that can help introduce or reinforce a Bible lesson on evangelism and missions:
As an Amazon Associate, Bible Games Central earns from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you. This income allows us to continue developing new Bible games and lessons.
Continuous learning and growth helps us become more effective in our ministry. Here are some resources from Amazon.com you may find helpful.