Cut two holes on either side of a carton box, just big enough for a person’s arms to go through.
The box must be fairly large such that the person sitting behind the box cannot see what’s inside.
Prepare 5 harmless mystery objects that feels creepy to the touch.
– A fresh head of lettuce infested with mealworms (for the demonstration round)
– A soft toy
– A marshmallow with lots of toothpicks stuck on it
– A peeled orange
– A small wind-up toy
– Toy creepy crawlies
– Gummy worms on a bar of soft/melted chocolate
How to Play
Place a table and chair at the front of the room.
For each round, one volunteer sits on the chair, behind the table and facing the audience.
At the back or side of the room, place the mystery object inside the box.
Make sure the volunteer cannot see what the mystery object is.
Bring the box out and put it on the table such that only the audience can see what’s inside the box.
(Get the audience to frighten the volunteer by pretending the mystery object is really scary.)
The volunteer must put both hands inside the box through the holes at the sides.
He/she must try to determine what the object is by touch.
For the first demonstration round, have a brave helper to be the volunteer and use the lettuce with mealworms.
Bible Lesson for Youths/Adults – Fear, Worry, Anxiety
1. Ask the volunteers: What were some thoughts going through your mind as your hands were in the box?
2. Ask the rest: Do you think you would have behaved in the same way?
Get into the Word
Read Matthew 8:23-27
3. What were the disciples fearful of?
4. Were their fears justified?
5. What do you think may have happened if the disciples had not expressed their fear?
6. When is fear a good thing?
7. When is fear a bad thing?
8. What lessons do you think the disciples learnt on the boat that day?
Read Matthew 6:25-34
9. Is it easy to “not worry about tomorrow”? Why? Or Why not?
Read Philippians 4:6-7
10. Have you tried applying these verses in the midst of fear and anxiety? Share your experience.
Read Hebrews 4:14-16
11. How does God feel about your fears, worries and anxieties?
Get the Word into your Life
12. What are some things that you worry about?
13. How do you think you would feel about these worries 1 month from now? 1 year from now? 5 years from now?
14. Who can you talk to about your fears?
15. What steps can you take to better deal with fear, worry and anxiety in your life?